CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

November 17, 2009

Love / Hate relationship

I have such a Love / Hate relationship with the FALL season! I love the cooler temps after a HOT summer, leaves changing colors and the fall holidays. I am thankful for so much. My family, home, our jobs... they are all wonderful blessings!!
Where does the hate come in you ask? Well... it is this! Canning & preserving everything that is harvested from the gardens. (I don't have a garden so don't be too impressed.) After working from 8:00am till 5:00pm 5 days a week... this is NOT what I want to do when I get home. The bad part is that I can't put it off for too many days or all of it will be rotten! AAHHH!

These pictures really do make the process look nice. Look how pretty the tomatoes are. I cook with tomato juice about twice a week so do the math... 2 quarts twice a week times 52 weeks = A LOT of tomato juice!!! 96 quarts is what I actually made this year. I still have a hard time thinking about this process. I did this for days!! My husband even helped this year. I think he now understands my hatred for it.

This is the part he volunteered for... the smashing of the cooked tomatoes into this hand crank juicer. This kids enjoy watching this part. Bailey even go into the action too. She was a big help.

That huge orange tub was FULL of juice along this the silver pan. This was one Saturday's worth of work. My mother-in law helped me pick tomatoes that morning and then I stared at about 2:00. I thought I would be done by 10:00 or 11:00. Guess what time it was was when I gave up and put the rest in the fridge??? 3:30 AM!!!!

This is only part of the massive amount of bottles that I did.

I can actually look at this now and think that it looks awesome!!


This is the finished product!!!
TA-DAH!!!

This is all of our hard work this year at following the prophet to get a year's supply of food!!!
All though we are not finished... it is a great feeling to know that we are doing something that the Lord has asked of us!

Now this is a BLESSING!!!

On a side note... I dried 1 box of pears and a few peaches. I also froze 22 quart bags of peaches, 28 quart bags of Corn, and 15 quart bags of stewed tomatoes!!!
This really is a Love / Hate relationship!!!!

5 comments:

Annika said...

Wow, I am totally impressed and overwhelmed with all of your food prep work! Way to go! That is so awesome and your food storage looks so neat and organized. I am so impressed and I'm sorry you had to stay up so late but glad that Yancey could help so when the fam is eating your hard work it will be a little more appreciated! :)

Todd and Melissa Titensor said...

Oh my goodness! That is crazy that you did that much. All the hard work will be worth it when you are using it this winter.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I wish I was as motivated as you! It looks great!

trevor and keesa said...

you are one dedicated woman!!

Mel said...

Cindy- I have to say I am totally impressed! This is the organized/ stocked pantry that I dream of. My pantry is a total disaster all of the time.